Sunday, May 9, 2010

For a few demons more (The Hollows Book 5) - Kim Harrison

Back cover summary

Despite dating one vampire and living with another, Rachel Morgan has always managed to stay just ahead of trouble...until now.

A fiendish serial killer stalks the Hollows, and no one living in or around Cincinnati--human, inhuman, or undead--is safe.

A ancient artifact may be the key to stopping the murderer--a mysterious relic that is now in the possession of Rachel Morgan, fearless independent bounty hunter and reckless witch. But revealing it could ignite a battle to the death among the vast and varied local supernatural races.

Rachel's been lucky so far. But even she can't hide from catastrophe forever.

Review (spoilers!)

I love Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series. I have to admit that I dreaded to read "For a few demons more" because I knew that Kisten would die. I started it and then put it down after a few chapters then waited a week then restarted. I really did not want to get to the page where Kisten dies.

I have to admit though that Kim Harrison wrote it in a way that even I had to admit that it was time that he makes an exit. It broke my heart but I survived. It is very seldom that an author can pull off the death of a beloved character without messing up the story.

"For a few demons more" is fast paced and page turning. The romance between and Rachel and Kisten was just enough to make your heart break when he dies. Thankfully, there is not so much of Ivy and her lust for Rachel. That's the part I don't like so much about this series. Sometimes I think that the author made a mistake of making Ivy female. Like Rachel, I guess, I am also not made that way. If Kim Harrison made Ivy's character male, I imagine that the series would be more popular because it will make such a fine love story.

Two of my favorite characters in the book are Ceri and Trent. I am glad that they were prominent in this new edition. The scene when Ceri first met Trent was priceless.  As Ceri implied, Trent's character may be in for some evolution. I am hoping a little bit for a Rachel-Trent romance.

I am absolutely looking forward to read the next book to see how Rachel handles Kisten's passing and how she would grow from it.

Rating:  ***** 

No comments:

Post a Comment