Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Black Magic Sanction- Kim Harrison (The Hollows Book 8)

Back cover summary-

Rachel Morgan has fought and hunted vampires, warewolves,banshees, demons and other supernatural dangers as both witch and bounty hunter--and lived to tell the tale.  But she's never faced off against her own kind...until now.


Denounced and shunned for dealing with demons and black magic, Rachel's best hope is life imprisonment--the worst, a forced lobotomy and genetic slavery.  Only her enemies are strong enough to help her win her freedom, but trust comes hard when it hinges on the unscrupulous tycoon Trent Kalamack, the demon Algaliarept, and an ex-boyfriend turned thief.  It takes a witch to catch a witch but survival bears a heavy price.

Review (Warning Spoilers!)-

I was prepared for a disappointment because I read a lot of bad reviews about this latest Rachel Morgan book but I really liked it.  It's true, Rachel whines a lot and it seems she didn't really evolve as a person but I do see a spark of evolution and I am hopeful that we will get that in the next book.  The action in Black Magic Sanction doesn't let up, before Rachel could catch her breath from escaping a bad situation, she gets sucked up into another one. This was together a good and bad thing for the plotting.

What I liked:

1. The mystery of her past with Trent.  This could be really good.  I am crossing my fingers that Kim Harrison doesn't mess this up.
2. Al.  He is still my favorite character.  Always a true demon.
3. Kim Harrison stopped with the Ivy-Rachel thing.
4. Jenks will live!  Yeepee!

What I didn't like:

1. Pierce.  I hope he would get stuck in the ever-after forever.
2. Nick. Kim Harrison should come up with a less irritating villain.  He is so one-dimensional that he is not interesting.
3. More elves please. Ceri just appeared to save the day like superman.  Quen was nowhere.
4.  Too action packed.  Rachel was panting for breath and me too.  I guess that is the reason why readers have a feeling that she doesn't think and is just reactive.  The author just doesn't give her time to think and ponder about the things that happened to her. 

 I think the author lay a lot of ground for a pretty good story in the next installment. I am looking forward to the next book in this series.

Rating:  *****



No comments:

Post a Comment